Castine Historical Society

Serving as a window into Castine's extraordinary past
Castine Historical Society

 Located in two historic buildings on the Town Common, The Castine Historical Society is dedicated to engaging residents and visitors of all ages in the exploration of Castine's diverse historical resources.  

The Abbott School, used by the Eastern State Normal School from 1867 to 1873 and the Castine High School until 1961 now houses seasonal exhibits and a community meeting space.

 In 2008, CHS purchased and carefully restored the Grindle House, a mid 19th century, three-story home of the Greek Revival style which now serves as the research center and archival storage for the Society's historical collections.

 

Related Stories
21