Deep in the unspoiled and scenic inland portion of DownEast Acadia you will find a region home to world- famous fishing, abundant wildlife, and a culture tied to industries built from the surrounding forests.
Long a “secret” destination for recreation, paddlers will enjoy an extensive network of lakes and streams for spotting birds and wildlife. Stay in sporting camps reflecting generations of Maine’s outdoor heritage. Travel along The Airline or the striking Million Dollar View with lakes and hayfields reaching to the horizon. Visit charming villages, or enjoy solitude among towering forests.
Top Things To Do
- Hire a Registered Maine Guide for a classic Maine fly-fishing experience on Grand Lake Stream and stay at a classic Maine sporting camp or lodge.
- Wander through unique forest and farm collections at the Alexander Art Trail and Lawrence Lord’s Old Farm Museum in Alexander.
- Seasoned paddlers will be challenged by the 76-mile Machias River Corridor canoe trip.
- Plan a visit to the Grand Lake Stream Fish Hatchery
- learn about Maine’s landlocked salmon and brook trout fishery.
- Grand Lake Stream Folk Art Festival, July
- Indian Days Heritage Celebration, Indian Twp, July
- West Grand Lake Race, Grand Lake Stream, August