Where History Was Made.
Located in the heart of Maine’s Bold Coast, Machias Bay is a place to live in rhythm with the tides, salt air stimulating the senses, a slowed pace rejuvenating the soul. Rich with history, Machias celebrates its role as the site of the Revolutionary War’s first Naval Battle each summer. Visit Burnham Tavern, one of the oldest buildings in Eastern Maine. Paddle the Machias River, the region’s first highway for running timber to coastal schooners. Swim at Roque Bluffs State Park, explore the Down East Sunrise Trail—then stop for blueberry pie sourced fresh from nearby barrens.
Towns/Areas of Note
- Roque Bluffs
- East Machias
- Bucks Harbor
Top Things To Do
- Bold Coast Scenic Byway
- Roque Bluffs State Park
- Burnham Tavern, Machias
- Fort O’Brien State Historic Site, Machiasport
- Margaretta Days, Machias, June
- Bold Coast Sea & Sky Festival, Machias, July
- Machias Wild Blueberry Festival, Machias, August
- Downeast Lobstah Drop, Machias, New Year’s Eve