Dyce Head Lighthouse

At the mouth of the Penobscot River, Castine has a colorful history. Originally settled by the French, it was occupied by the British during the American Revolution and the War of 1812. Dyce Head Lighthouse was built in 1828 to serve as a guide for mariners headed to Bangor, then a leading lumber port.

The lighthouse is close to Maine Maritime Academy and is easily reached by driving to Castine on Route 166. The grounds are open to the public but the keeper's house is now a private residence. The site is owned by the Town of Castine.

Location: Penobscot River, Castine
Latitude: 44.38274 N
Longitude: -68.81908 W
Established: 1828
Discontinued: 1935
Reactivated: 2007

Related Stories
52
You Might Like
Loading...
Events
12/14/18

Holiday Wine Tasting

Sample wines for people on the good list

12/28/18

Second Chance Wine Tasting

Retaste wines that got lost in the shuffle!

12/31/18

The Great Sardine and Maple Leaf Drop

Join us for the annual New Year’s Eve Great Sardine and Maple Leaf Drop in Bank Square, downtown...

12/31/18

Downeast Lobstah Drop

Plans are underway for the Annual DownEast Lobstah Drop New Year’s Eve Celebration Event to be held...

View All >