The town of Sedgwick was incorporated in 1798 and named after Major General Robert Sedgwick who ousted the French from neighboring Castine. The township’s boundaries diminished as land was taken to form the neighboring towns of Brooksville and Brooklin in the early 1800’s. Early settlers found the land more suitable to grazing, quarrying and logging, due to the long, rocky ridge that runs between the Bagaduce River and Salt Pond. Blueberry barrens dot the landscape, offering scenic views, notably Caterpillar Hill.
The town’s coastline stretches along the shores of the Eggemoggin Reach, separating the Peninsula from Deer Isle. The mouth of the Benjamin River offers sailors and boaters a quiet cove, and village of Sargentville is the gateway to Deer Isle. (source)