Photo Credit: Jeremy D'Entremont

West Quoddy Head Light

This red and white candy-striped light is one of the most commonly depicted American lighthouses on calendars and posters. It stands on the easternmost point of the United States' mainland. The first light was built by order of President Thomas Jefferson. At one time the station had a fog cannon, and received the nation's first fog bell in 1820.

The grounds are open to the public. Trails go through the park, along the shore and past the lighthouse.

Location: West Quoddy Head, Lubec
Established 1808
Present light built 1858
Automated 1988

Way DownEast & Roosevelt Campobello Region

West Quoddy Lightkeepers Association

VisitLubecMaine.com

Related Stories
29
You Might Like
Loading...
Events
12/14/18

Holiday Wine Tasting

Sample wines for people on the good list

12/28/18

Second Chance Wine Tasting

Retaste wines that got lost in the shuffle!

12/31/18

The Great Sardine and Maple Leaf Drop

Join us for the annual New Year’s Eve Great Sardine and Maple Leaf Drop in Bank Square, downtown...

12/31/18

Downeast Lobstah Drop

Plans are underway for the Annual DownEast Lobstah Drop New Year’s Eve Celebration Event to be held...

View All >