If taking better care of yourself on vacation means more than simply getting out for a brisk walk and eating a few less whoopee pies, we’d like to offer you a couple suggestions for keeping up your regimen while you are spending time DownEast.
- Go for a ride – its why you came here right? Instead of driving, rent a bike for the day? The world looks and feels different from the seat of a bike.
- Take a hike – not just a walk in the woods, find a trail that challenges your inhibitions—while not putting your health at risk.
- Stretch & Bend – Find a yoga class that will suit your own needs. Many communities hold yoga in the park, from Acadia to Eastport. Cannot find a class, take the mat outside and stretch under the brilliant blue Maine sky on your own.
- Get beautiful – Big plans? Maybe a friend's wedding? Or just going out on town and want to spruce up? Find one of our many mini day-spas for some extra special pampering treatments to make you look as good as you feel.
- Eat healthy – many restaurants offer fresh, organic meals locally produced with tons of love. Most communities have farm markets where you can choose fresh picked berries for your pie, homemade granola and yogurt to nibble while watching the sunrise, or scallops direct from the sea for your evening grill.
Our regional education centers welcome visitors to their many yoga, dance, and wellness classes – check out:
- Bar Harbor Health and Wellness
- Mount Desert Island YMCA
- DownEast Massage - Massage, meditation, and yoga
- Cobscook Community Learning Center in Trescott - Classes and events
- Eastport Arts Center Yoga, and events
- Downeast and Acadia Day Spas & Fitness
- University of Maine at Machias
- College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor
Being on vacation doesn’t mean you are on break from your wellness practices, so keep up the good work while you are away.